If you’re looking to create photos or digital art you’ve undoubtedly heard of the software Affinity Photo and Corel Painter. Both are known for their excellent features when it comes to editing photos and creating digital pieces. Still, which one is actually better? Which software has more features?
Affinity Photo is generally considered better than Corel Painter. The user interface is easier to get a handle on and its features are more comparable with mainstream options like Photoshop. Still, Corel Painter is loaded with its own features and has won awards for its quality as well.
If you’re trying to decide between getting Affinity Photo or Corel Painter, but you’re not sure which one is better, this is for you. In our guide below we will break down the pros and cons of each software before addressing the question of which one is better. By the end of this article you should have a much better idea of which is right for you. So let’s jump right in!
Pros and Cons of Affinity Photo
Every software–no matter how good or bad–has its pros and cons. Affinity photo is no different. While there are plenty of reasons to use it there are a few to be weary of as well.
Below we’ve broken down the pros and cons of Affinity photo so you can get a better idea of if it is the right photo editing software for you:
Pros of Affinity Photo
The following pros will let you know why Affinity Photo might be the right software for you:
- Loaded with features: Affinity pro is loaded with features for digital art and editing images that can compete with Photoshop itself. This is one of the reasons why Affinity is one of the most common alternatives to date.
- No subscription needed: Unlike other software like Photoshop that requires a subscription to use, Affinity Photo pro is not subscription based. Instead, you can either use the free trial or do a one time purchase and then own it forever. In a world where more and more design/editing programs require monthly payments, it’s refreshing.
- Better reviews: Affinity Photo tends to get better reviews from customers than Corel Painter.
- User interface: The user interface is easy to use and can be adjusted to your liking. You can decide which panels are displayed and where so you have everything you need at your fingertips.
There are plenty of good reasons to use Affinity pro. Not only is it one of the best alternatives to Photoshop, but it’s just a great software on its own as well.
Cons of Affinity Photo
While Affinity Photo is a great software it does come with its downsides.
Below we’ve outlined the cons of Affinity Photo so you know what to watch out for when picking the software for you:
- Difficulty importing Photoshop brushes: While Photoshop brushes can be used with Affinity it can’t import dynamic brush qualities.
- Requires a subscription: Unlike Corel Painter, you can’t just buy Affinity right out. You have to use the subscription based model–meaning you never truly own it.
- Limited plugin support: Affinity Photo doesn’t have plugin support for Designer. This can be a blow to those who use Designer for their graphic design projects.
While there are downsides to Affinity, it’s still one of the best software available for graphic design and photo editing. Now let’s check out Corel Painter.
Pros and Cons of Corel Painter
Like Affinity Photo, Corel Painter also has its own upsides and downsides. While it is an excellent software for certain design and photo editing capabilities it has its limitations.
Below we’ve broken down the pros and cons of Corel Painter so you can know if its the right software for you:
Pros of Corel Painter
Corel Painter has been making a name for itself as one of the most robust design/editing software available.
The follow pros should show you why Corel Painter might just be the right software for your graphic design needs:
- Great for photos or painting: Corel painter is great for all of your needs, ranging from photo editing to painting.
- Award Winning: Corel Painter has won multiple awards including “the best digital art software for creatives in 2020.”
- No subscription required: With Corel Painter you can actually own the software. You just make a one time payment and it’s all yours. To a lot of people this is far more convenient than Affinity’s subscription model.
While Corel Painter may not have all the bells and whistles of Affinity, it’s still an excellent award winning software that should be seriously considered by anyone into graphic design.
Cons of Corel Painter
The following cons of Corel Painter should help you decide whether or not you will enjoy using this software:
- Not as many features as Affinity: Corel Painter doesn’t have quite as many features as Affinity.
- Not as well reviewed: When it comes to those who use each software, Affinity gets far better reviews than Corel Painter.
Corel Painter does have its downsides, still, it’s beloved by legions of graphic designers who use it because of the features it does have.
Is Corel Painter Good for Editing Photos?
We all know that Corel Painter can be used to create fantastic drawings, paintings and designs. Still, if you’re looking to use it as an alternative to Affinity Photo, you’ll need to know if it is actually good for editing photos as well.
Fortunately, along with its drawing and painting tools, Corel Painter comes equipped with excellent photo editing capabilities.
So Really, is Affinity Photo Better Than Corel Painter?
Now that we’ve seen the pros and cons of each software it’s time to answer the question of which one is truly better.
At the end of the day, Affinity Photo comes out on top when you compare it with Corel Painter. It has a better user interface, more features and greater compatibility. Still, Corel Painter packs its own punch and can be bought outright instead of getting locked into a subscription. Which one sounds better to you?