It’s no secret that the world of graphic design is constantly evolving. It can be tough to keep up with the latest trends and techniques with new technology and software. But what if you don’t have access to a computer? Can you still learn graphic design?
Yes, you can learn graphic design using only your phone. However, it’s not advisable. Unlike computers, phones don’t have the same power and capabilities. This means that you’ll likely be limited in what you can do.
However, if you’re just starting or want to learn a few basics, your phone is more than enough. There are several great apps and online resources that can help you get started. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the best apps and online resources that can help you become a graphic designer using just your phone. So, let’s jump right in.
Can I Learn Graphic Designing With My Phone?
In an ideal world, you’d have everything you need to learn graphic design; access to a high-quality computer, unlimited access to design software, and more.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Not everyone has access to a computer, design software, or other resources needed for graphic design.
That’s where your phone comes in. While you can’t do everything on your phone that you can on a computer, you can still do many things to improve your graphic design skills.
So, if you’re wondering if you can learn graphic design using only your phone, the answer is yes. However, don’t expect the same level of quality you would get from a computer. You’ll be more limited in what you can do with a phone, but it’s still possible to create some fantastic designs.
How to Learn Graphic Design on Your Phone
So, how do you go about learning graphic design on your phone? Does the type of phone matter? Here are a few tips and tricks:
1. Invest in a Reliable Smartphone
The first thing you need to do is invest in a good smartphone. This is important because you’ll need the power and capabilities to run graphic design software.
When most people hear this, they think they’ll need an iPad Pro. The truth is, you don’t need a high-end phone. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean you can use any phone.
You’ll want to ensure the phone you plan to use has the latest iPhone or Android OS. You see, with outdated versions, you won’t be able to take advantage of all the features newer software offer. Besides, some graphic design apps won’t support older operating systems.
2. Use Your Phone to Learn the Basics
As we’ve mentioned, learning graphic design on your phone can be limiting in the sense that you can’t create complex designs due to limited features and capabilities.
However, a phone is a good starting point if you’re a beginner. You can use it to learn the basics of graphic design. This includes learning about different types of fonts, colors, and layouts. You can also experiment with different combinations to see what looks best.
3. Find Graphic Design Software That Fits Your Phone
While you can use most graphic design software on your phone, not all programs are designed for mobile devices. In fact, some are downright terrible when used on a small screen.
At the very least, you’ll want to find a program that allows you to draw and design on a phone. This type of software typically has an easy to use interface, which is essential when working with a small screen.
If you’re looking for more features, you might want to consider investing in a program that offers vector drawing tools and advanced photo editing capabilities and supports small screens without issue.
Some of the best graphic design apps for Android and iPhone include:
- Placeit.net (our recommendation): This is a web-based graphic design tool so you can access it on any device that has an internet connection. Choose from 90,000+ pre-made templates to make your designing process lighting fast. Large library, easy to use.
- Adobe Lightroom: This app is designed for photographers, but it has powerful graphic design features like vector drawing tools and advanced photo editing capabilities.
- Adobe Capture: This is the most versatile tool for graphic designers. It allows you to capture images and evaluate the fonts, colors, and styles used using an A.I.
- Adobe Comp: This allows you to combine your design elements and create a complete layout for an incredible final piece.
- Photoshop Fix: This app is designed to help you quickly and easily retouch photos on your phone.
- Canva: This app is designed for people with no design experience. It’s easy to use and includes a wide variety of templates and tools.
- Illustrator Draw: With this app, you can create vector illustrations on your phone. It’s great for creating logos, icons, and other tiny graphics designs.
- Adobe Spark: This app is a great way to create social media posts, web banners, and other types of graphics. It’s easy to use and includes many templates and fonts.
Source: Media Caterer
You may have noticed that most of these applications are by Adobe. Adobe is a leader in graphic design software, and its applications are some of the best out there, but they come with big learning curves. However, Adobe software can be expensive. If you’re looking for free alternatives, Placeit is an excellent option.
No matter which application or program you choose to use, always ensure that it supports small screens. You don’t want to struggle to try to create designs.
You should also prioritize applications that allow sync and cloud storage. This way, you can access your designs from any device, and you won’t have to worry about losing your work.
Finally, make sure that the application is easy to use. You don’t want to waste time figuring out how to use the software.
If you’re looking for a way to start learning graphic design and don’t have a computer, your phone is a great option. There are many applications available that can help you get started. And if you want to take things further, there are plenty of online courses and tutorials that can help you learn the ropes. So, use the tips we’ve shared and start designing today!