In graphic design, menu design can be a successful business opportunity. Through graphic design software, you can make a template and create a menu that a restaurant owner would love. If you’re interested in this option, you might wonder – how much should you charge for menu design?
If you are starting, a solid price is $500 for a flat fee or $25-$75 an hour for menu design. As you gain more experience, you can raise the price. You will need a quality reputation before you can increase the price.
Read on to learn more about how much you should charge for menu design, the factors that influence the price, and more. Once you have the ideal price point, you can make a living with a menu design. There’s a lot to cover, so let’s get started right away!
What Factors Might Influence the Price?
Many factors might influence the price. Many of these can be determined upfront when discussing the design with the restaurant owner. The rest happens through quotes as you consider what it will take to design the menu.
Here are a few factors that might influence the price:
- Font: What font do they want? What does it cost to make it or buy it?
- Colors: How much are the colors in the design? Do you have to pay for them?
- Material: What material is the menu made out of? Are you required to pay for the material?
- Time: How long will it or did it take to complete the menu design?
- Details: How intricate are the details in the menu?
- Menu items: What items are on the menu? How long does it take to arrange them in the right spots for the design to work?
These can influence the price.
It’s critical to consider everything when determining the right price for your menu design. You need to receive fair pay for your work – don’t undersell yourself! You deserve the best for your design.
Pay By Hour vs Pay Per Item
Another item to consider is how you receive payment. Do you want to receive a lump sum for the project? Or, would you rather get paid by the hour? Which will make you the most money and keep you motivated to work?
Here are the differences between the two:
- Pay by the hour: You get paid every hour. The longer you work, the more money you make. Still, it might mean establishing a set amount of hours with the hiring party.
- Pay by item: You set an established price for every menu. This price rises the more experienced you get.
These are different yet beneficial in their ways.
How long will it take to complete the project? Will you make more if you work by the hour instead of by item? The more you design menus, the clearer this choice will become.
What Should Be On a Menu?
We all know that there should be food and beverages on a menu. What are the other elements a graphic designer should include on a menu? What sets a bad one apart from a good one?
Here are a few elements that should be included on a menu, along with food and beverages:
- Allure: The design of the menu should be attractive. Customers should want to read it when they sit down.
- Readability: A menu is no good if no one can read it. Design it in a readable way.
- Branding: It should be clear what restaurant the customer is dining at. Ensure branding is all over the menu.
- Variety: Ensure a range on the menu and make the variety clear. Everyone has a different taste.
- Organization: Every portion of the menu should be well-organized to make it easy for customers to find items.
Take care to consider these five elements in a menu design.
The better incorporated these are, the higher your price can be. A good designer is subtle about their work in all the best ways.
Are Designers in Charge of Pictures?
Sometimes, there are pictures on a menu. You might wonder – are designers responsible for adding these to a menu? Does that impact the price?
Many times, graphic designers will be responsible for utilizing images that have already been taken. Or they might be in charge of drawing pictures that they then incorporate into the menu design. Whatever the case, the restaurant owner should specify their desires ahead of time.
If the restaurant owner wants images, you can charge more for the design. It takes more work for pictures. You can increase the price.
Where Can You Advertise Menu Design Skills?
Maybe you want to design menus, but you’re at the beginning of your career and don’t know where to start. Where are the ideal places to show that you can create menus?
Here are a few of the ideal places to advertise your menu design skills:
- A personal website on a site like WordPress
- Fiverr & Upwork
These locations will show that you know what you’re doing.
You can also advertise your skills on social media. Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook are excellent places to provide visuals of your menu design. You can direct people to a link for more images! It will take time, but you can build up a customer base after some advertising work.
If you are a graphic designer, an excellent way to make money is to design menus. As a beginner, you can charge about $500 or $25-$75 an hour for menu design. The more experience you gain, the more you can charge for the product.
We hope this information was helpful! It can be tricky to determine the best price for menu design, but once you find the right one, you should be able to make a profession out of this skill. There will always be restaurants, and they need quality menus for their services. You’ve got this!