When selecting a photo or raster image editor for your projects, one of the deciding factors is updates. The software makers must constantly be innovating and listening to their users to address issues with the application. It’s also important that if you’re using an application with a one-time fee or a monthly subscription, updates aren’t going to pile on the cost.
Luckily, updates for Affinity Photo are frequent and free. Not to mention, Affinity Photo still allows access to its previous versions of the application. How you acquire these updates depends on the system you’re using. Keep reading to find out the process for your operating system.
Affinity Photo is compatible with macOS, Windows, and iPad. Regardless of the device or the operating system, your updates for this application should be automatically executed. If Affinity Photo isn’t automatically updating for you, there are steps you can take to get your updates manually.
If you are a macOS user and your updates aren’t automatically updating, here are the steps you can take to get your updates manually:
- Open the Mac App Store
- Navigate to Updates
- Then go to Store > Reload Page or press CMD+R
These steps should force the update to show. Remember that Apple sometimes rolls out updates in phases, so an update may not be available in your region yet. It can take up to 72 hours for updates to be made available.
If you’ve purchased Affinity Photo from the Affinity Store, here are the steps to update:
- Open the software, and the update should start automatically.
- If not, navigate to the application main menu and select ‘Check for Updates.’
- You can also go to the Affinity store website; the latest version available to download will be first on the list under your operating system.
If you are a Windows user and your updates aren’t automatically updating, here are the steps you take to get your updates manually:
- Open the Windows Store app.
- Click on the three dots in the top right-hand corner of the app.
- Go to Downloads > Updates
Your update will begin. Launch the software once the update is complete. If you purchased Affinity Photo directly from the Affinity store, you could use the same steps from the previous section to update your software via the application or online Affinity store.
If you’re using Affinity Photo on an iPad, you will treat it like any other application that needs updating. Your device will update applications as soon as those updates become available. If you aren’t sure you’re working with the latest version of Affinity Photo, use the following steps:
- Open the iPad App Store
- Make sure you’re logged in with the same Apple ID you used to purchase Affinity Photo
- Navigate to Updates
- Tap near the top of the screen, hold down, and then release. This should refresh your updates.
- If you see the update on the list, select the Update button to the right of Affinity Photo
If you still don’t see the update, remember Apple rolls out its updates in phases. Check back in 72 hours to see if your update is available.
If you purchased your software from the Affinity store, refer to the steps in the ‘Update for macOS’ section.
If your device isn’t already set to automatic updates, you can set it up in your system’s preferences. Look for your operating system in the following list to find the procedure:
- macOS: System Preferences > Software Update > Advanced. Check all boxes.
- Mac App Store: System Preferences > Software Update > Advanced. Install App updates from the App Store.
- Windows 10 (Microsoft Store): Microsoft App Store > three-dot icon > Settings > Enable toggle for Update apps automatically.
- iOS App Store: Settings > App Store > Enable App Updates.
- Google Store: Open Google Play Store app > Menu > Settings > Auto update apps.
If you’ve set up your device to update your apps automatically and the Affinity Photo app is still having issues with updating, save your work and preferences, uninstall and reinstall the software and see if that fixes the issue.
Keeping your software updated ensures the application runs as smoothly as possible. Updates will add innovations to features and make your work on the application more efficient. Setting your device to automatically update means less work for you, avoids prolonged technical issues, and keeps you at the cusp of the latest for the application.