Adobe Illustrator is one of the most used graphic editing, design, and formatting software that uses vectors and is owned by Adobe Inc. Using this software, allows you to create anything from logos to artwork with professional accuracy. Among its numerous tools, Illustrator can combine objects. So, how does this work?
Combining objects makes it easier and quicker to work, so there are several ways to do so in Illustrator. One of the most used methods for combining objects is just clicking and dragging using the Shape Builder tool. Alternatively, you can also use the pathfinder tool or the group method.
Continue reading to learn more about each method!
Combining Objects Using Shape Builder
As the most common method for combining objects, this is also the quickest. To use it, follow these steps:
1. Select any of the objects visible on the screen and drag any one of them into the other, keeping them aligned.
2. Next, open the “view option” from the menu bar on the left side.
3. Choose the “outline” tool and start adjusting the position of the two objects to ensure they blend well with each other without blank spaces in the middle.
4. Lastly, select the “shape builder” tool to finalize the new combined shape of the two objects.
Even though this method is the easiest to memorize and use, the other two methods are as essential because these tips and tricks would allow you to become a master illustrator user. Continue reading this article to learn how to combine objects using illustrator using the other two methods.
For a more detailed description of combining objects in Illustrator, refer to this video:
Combining Objects in Illustrator Using Pathfinder
For this method, use the steps below:
1. Firstly, click on the objects that you want to combine.
2. Secondly, click on the “path pinder” panel in the menu bar to view 10 different editing modes for your object.
3. Select the “divide” option from the tools provided under the Pathfinder menu. The name of each tool appears when the mouse pointer comes near the options.
4. You can select the ungroup option to move the shapes that have been divided.
5. Lastly, use a crop tool to create the desired shape by combining those objects.
Combining Objects in Illustrator Using Group
If you want to use this third method, the following steps will guide you:
1. Begin by selecting the objects you wish to combine.
2. Align the objects to your desire (only do this if it is required).
3. Click on the “object” option from the toolbar and then click on “group.” After this, both objects will be combined.
4. To add to them or change the color of the grouped objects, simply “double click” on the part of the object that you want to edit. This will appear as a new layer within the toolbar that you can use to change the colors to your liking.
Combining objects allows you to be more creative by making new designs and patterns. There are three ways to do so within Illustrator. However, using the shape builder tool is the easiest method.