Are you wonderful at art but cannot reproduce the art as beautifully as you thought? If the neatness and roughness of the piece are your concerns, this article is for you. We will talk about drawing smooth lines with a brush.
To draw smooth lines in Photoshop, try using a harder brush, incorporating the smooth tool whenever you can, liquifying to make amends, and not shying away from using the eraser. It is your best friend.
Please continue reading if you wish to learn more about these in detail. We will explain each tip comprehensively to make art easier and help you solve messy lines.
Using The Hard Brush Instead Of A Softer One
Changing the type of brush that you are using can have a great impact on your piece. Here we draw a contrast between harder and softer brushes to demonstrate why the hard brush can give you smoother lines.
By using the soft brush, you get rougher and more realistic lines. The sketch is the result looks like a hand-drawn sketch and is quite natural. This is because making an error is fine here. You can go back and forth multiple times to ensure that your lines are smooth. The rougher edges of the lines make it easier to erase and maneuver their lines.
A hard brush, however, will give you a very blunt and even line. The sketch that comes out looks crisp and also very animated. However, this may have a downside. This is because the chances of making an error and fixing it are minimized with the hard brush. You may be restricted a considerable amount, but the result will be smooth once you get the hang of it.
How To Draw Smooth Lines In Photoshop By Using The Smooth Tool
A smooth tool is a wonderful tool that can ensure that all the lines drawn in the piece of work you are making are smooth. This tool can make your lines look cleaner without the ridges on their side showing. The lines would look less hand drawn and more smooth.
To go over the steps to do this, read the instructions below.
- Locate the smooth tool at the top of the canvas. This says smoothing.
- Set the number to your desired setting. 0% will provide no smoothing, but your lines will get smoother as you increase the number.
- The higher the smoothing is, the more your line will be restricted from tapering and extending as you draw it, so choose wisely.
- Now draw the lines at the level of smoothness that you want.
How To Draw Smooth Lines In Photoshop By Using The Eraser
The eraser is your best friend! To draw smooth lines in Photoshop using an eraser, follow the instructions below.
- Select the brush tool.
- Draw the lines that you wish to draw without being too careful. Go about it as you would, overshoot the lines or experiment.
- Once you are done, select the eraser tool.
- Now zoom into the picture as much as you want and carefully begin erasing the protruding edges or lines. You can make revisions wherever you want.
- Erasing the excess allows you to get a finished result that looks cohesive and smooth.
How To Draw Smooth Lines In Photoshop By Liquifying
The liquify tool is often considered to be unknown in Photoshop. You can make use of this tool to make your lines smoother. To do so:
- Draw the lines that you wish to draw.
- Once you are done, go to Filter and choose Liquify.
- The canvas would change, and you will only be able to see the lines on a grid. The grid is there to help you to see the pixels clearly and make corrections accurately.
- If the grid is too confusing, go to the properties window and check the box next to “Show Backdrop.”
If you wish to learn more about the Liquify tool in Photoshop, make sure you check out this video:
Lines are lines combined cleverly to make impactful and dynamic art pieces. You have to make sure such a thing happens smoothly. In this article, we have walked you through four ways by which you can create smooth lines in Photoshop, and we hope these help you in your pursuit of being an artist.