The brush tool can be the best in Photoshop and yet the most challenging thing to get around in the software. We have all struggled with trying to get the brush strokes to be straight. We are here for you and will get you through this.
To draw a straight line with a brush in Photoshop, click on the canvas after choosing the brush you want to select. Hold down the shift key and click on the endpoint of the line you drew with the brush. The two points will connect with a straight line, and you will be done.
That was easy, right? To find out more, continue reading.
How To Draw A Straight Line With The Line Tool In Photoshop?
Before we dive into using the brush tool, you must understand how straight lines are drawn in Photoshop with the help of the line tool. This is important because it sets the foundation for how to use the brush tool and provides some practice before diving into the brushes.
To draw a straight line with the line tool:
- Go to the rectangle tool.
- Now click the Line tool option. This should be the second last option.
- Click on your canvas and hold down the Shift key.
- Now drag your cursor across the canvas in the direction you desire.
- Release the cursor when you are happy with your line.
- This will make a horizontal line.
- Do not hold down the shift key if you wish to make a line in a different direction.
How To Draw A Straight Line With The Brush Tool In Photoshop?
Let us get to the real deal. Photoshop offers a wide range of brushes, each performing its specified function. These are versatile and allow users to experiment with art, photo editing, and much more.
To draw a straight line with the brush tool in Photoshop:
- Open Photoshop and make a new layer for your line.
- Select the brush tool.
- Click on the canvas at the point where you want to start your line.
- Press and hold down the Shift key from your keyboard.
- While Shift is still held, click at the point where you want your line to end.
- The two points will be joined and will make a straight line.
Watch this video for more help:
How To Change The Color Of The Straight Line In Photoshop?
Are you bored of black lines? So are we. To add some color to your art piece, explore the different colors you can use.
To do so, follow these steps.
- Draw the line that you want.
- Once you are done, look at the tool panel on the left side of your screen.
- On the bottom, it shows the colors of the line.
- Click on this and pick a color of your choice, or use the eyedropper tool to make your color.
How To Use Straight Lines With Brushes When Photo-Editing In Photoshop?
What good is learning to draw straight lines with brushes when you do not understand how to apply them at work? We have demonstrated one example of where you may need to use the brush tool and make straight lines.
To remove items from a photo, follow the instructions below.
- Open up the picture you want to remove something from.
- Unlock the background layer by clicking on the lock icon next to the layer.
- Select the spot healing brush tool.
- If the item you wish to remove falls on a straight line, click on the spot where it starts.
- Now press and hold the shift key, and click on the area where this ends.
- There you go, you healed a photo without spending too long zooming in and getting the lines right.
How To Use A Spot Healing Brush To Remove A Curved Line?
You might be unable to remove curved lines because this technique applies to straight lines only. If you think about it, a curved line can be broken up into multiple straight lines. This technique still applies; let us explain the steps to you.
- Open up the picture you wish to edit.
- Locate the curved line.
- Unlock the background layer.
- Now look closely at the curved line and make imaginary breaks in it.
- Click on the line’s starting point, and hold down the Shift key.
- Now begin clicking as you move across the line with the Shift key still held.
- Remember the imaginary breaks you made in the line, click on every break, and you should be able to remove the entire line seamlessly.
The brush tool offers so much versatility in work on photoshop regardless of the type of work you are performing. Knowing this tool fully and working through it can be a life changer.