Are you a budding animation artist? Krita is the perfect, beginner-friendly software to use. However, most users need help when it is time to export their animations. They find themselves clueless, but we’re here to change that! How do you export animation in Krita?
Krita does not support the export of animations. The software requires an add-on called FFmpeg. This file supports audio and video files and is free to download and run. Once FFmpeg is on your computer, you can easily follow the process of rendering an animation and viewing it on your system.
Continue reading if you want to learn more about FFmpeg, its installation, and how to render an animation successfully.
Set Up For Exporting Animation In Krita
To export animations from Krita, it is essential to know if you have the necessary products that support the animation. The animation is downloaded as an mp4 file or as a GIF. You have to download FFmpeg to be able to download the animation successfully.
What is FFmpeg?
FFmpeg is a multimedia framework. It helps to encode, decode, and convert audio and video files. FFmpeg is open-source, and its primary purpose is to process video and audio files.
Why is FFmpeg needed?
If you are wondering if this add-on could have been included in the Krita software by default, you are right. An in-built file would have made things easier. However, the FFmpeg file is enormous, with a space of 50 MBs. Including this within the Krita software would have made it less user-friendly. Loading the software and working on it might have been a hassle because heavier files tend to lag.
Krita also excluded the FFmpeg file from the software so that the software could run on old systems and have a lower RAM. Hence, it is necessary for people who want to work on animations to download FFmpeg.
How To Download FFmpeg?
Downloading this is free, but a process needs to be followed for seamlessness. Here it is:
- Visit the website ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds
- The website will provide options to choose from under version, architecture, and links.
- Choose the first version.
- Based on the system you use, select windows or mac.
- Then choose static under linking.
- Click on “Download Build.”
- A zip folder will be downloaded.
- Extract the files from the zip folder and open it.
- From the items present, go to “Bin.”
- Select the item labeled “FFmpeg” and move it to your desktop.
- You may delete the rest of the folder.
Exporting The Animation From Krita
The procedure is straightforward now that you have the FFmpeg file that would support your animation. Follow the order below.
- Go to Krita and open up your animation.
- Select the file and go to “Render animation.”
- A window will appear.
- Ensure that the “video” is selected in front of the export.
- Choose the correct sizing in the first and last document size and FPS.
- Below this, there is an option labeled FFMpeg.
- Insert the FFmpeg file that you just downloaded here.
- Choose your video type under “Render as.”
- For GIF, choose GIF.
- For an Mp4 file, choose MP4. Click the three dots and choose “baseline” under “Profile.”
- If you want to include audio, select the “include audio” option.
- Choose the location of download and click “OK.”
- Your file should be downloaded.
- Click on the file and test to see if the animation works.
For further assistance, you may want to refer to this video:
Exporting Animation With Transparency In Krita
If you want to download the animation without its background so you can use it in other backgrounds, follow the steps below.
- Look for the layers on the left side of your Krita window.
- Click on the “Background” layer to turn it off.
- This setting will make the background look like a gray-and-white mosaic.
- Go to “Files” and then “Render Animation.”
- You may want to export the animation with transparency as an image sequence or as a GIF.
- Rendering the animation as a video would give it a white background. The background may be removed using another software, but the process may be time-consuming.
- Choose “Image Sequence,” check for the sizing and click “OK.”
- You may view the file you downloaded.
Downloading an add-on file may sound like a lot of work, but it is effortless. It allows you to make and download animations, an increasing art medium that is gaining popularity. After downloading FFmpeg, ensure you follow the steps thoroughly, as any missed action may lead to errors in the downloaded file. Good luck with making art!