Do you have a picture that may be too small for your liking? If you are stuck in a rut, Photoshop allows you to enlarge it without any changes to the quality. The photo background can be extended.
You can use the rectangular marquee tool, the content-aware tool, and an addon called Image Extend.
Let us dig into the procedure of doing this.
Extending The Background In Photoshop
Follow these instructions to accomplish your goal:
- Open the Image in Photoshop.
- Select the “Rectangular Marquee” tool from the toolbar.
- Draw a selection around the area you want to extend with the mouse.
- Select the “Content-Aware” option from the “Edit” menu.
- Click and drag the selection over the area that you want to extend.
- Photoshop will automatically fill in the background with content-aware content.
- If unsatisfied with the results, you can undo the last step and try again.
- Once you are satisfied with the result, you can save the Image.
Watch this for more assistance:
What Is The Image Extend – Clipping And Expansion Kit?
The best thing about Photoshop is that there are multiple ways to perform the same task. Another way to extend the background is using the Image extend addon available in Photoshop. Image Extend is an addon that works specifically for Photoshop and allows users to extend images. Some of its features include:
- Allows users to clip and extend images.
- It applies to as many layers as you prefer.
- It will enable you to choose the unit value for extension, i.e., if you want to extend pixels, a percentage of the Image, or inches.
- It is effortless to use.
- It is free and comes with Photoshop software.
- Allows for a seamless extension.
- No quality is lost for the Image that is extended.
- The extension and clipping are easily customizable.
- Every action can be easily repeated.
How to Extend a Background in Photoshop With Image Extend Addon?
The Image Extend Addon is a powerful Photoshop addon that helps you quickly extend a background in Photoshop. This tutorial will walk you through extending a background in Photoshop with the Image Extend Addon.
- Open your Image in Photoshop.
- Select the “Image Extend” button from the Photoshop toolbar.
- Select the “Extend” button from the Image Extend dialog box.
- Select the size of the background you want to extend.
- Select the “Background” option from the dialog box.
- Select the “Color” option from the drop-down menu.
- Select the color you want to use to extend the background.
- Click “OK” to apply for the background extension.
- Your background has now been extended.
How To Extend The Background In Photoshop Using Content-Aware?
The content-aware tool can come in handy when extending the background in Photoshop. Take a look at these instructions.
- To extend the background in Photoshop using content-aware fill, follow these steps:
- Open the Image you want to extend.
- In the layers panel, click the layer you want to extend.
- In the layer’s properties panel, click the fill or color button.
- Choose the content-aware fill option from the Fill menu.
- In the Content-Aware Fill dialog box, select the area you want to fill with the background image.
- Click OK.
- The background image will be filled into the selected area.
How To Refine The Extended Background In Photoshop?
Sometimes the extension of the Image may be rough on the edges. Ensure a smooth procedure by taking the following steps.
- First, select the background layer to refine the extended background in Photoshop.
- Next, click the “backgrounds” tab in the Layer Palette.
- Select the “Refine Edge” button.
- Select the “Sharpen” button.
- Select the “Blur” button.
- Select the “Gaussian Blur” button.
- Select the “Reduce Noise” button.
- Select the “Invert” button.
- Select the “Copy” button.
- Paste the copied background layer onto the top of the original background layer.
- Select the merged background layer and click the “Delete” button.
Is Image Extend Add-On In Photoshop Free?
No, it is not free. It costs $10 to buy and add to your Photoshop software.
Why Is The Background Layer So Important?
Photoshop’s Background layer is vital because it is the base layer where all other layers are built. It cannot be deleted, and any changes will affect the layers above it in the stack.
Because of this, it is essential to be mindful of any changes made to it, such as color correction or blurring. Additionally, the Background layer is an excellent template for creating other layers, as any changes can be easily copied and applied to different layers.
You have three options to pick from now. Follow the instructions thoroughly; soon, you will not need a guide to performing the simple task. Good luck!