Are you tired of the same old basic shapes and want to incorporate diamonds in your art? We have got you a tutorial on how to make a diamond.
Draw a square, select it, select the rotate tool and rotate it at a 45-degree angle using the small circle at the bottom.
To help you make more shapes and expand your creativity, you should learn to make more shapes. Continue reading to find out how to make other shapes to add variations to your art.
How To Make A Square In Illustrator?
The most basic of shapes, a square, can be the building block for other shapes like a diamond. To make a square:
- Select the Rectangle Tool from the Toolbar.
- Draw the Rectangle by clicking and holding the left mouse button and dragging until the desired size is reached.
- Click on the Selection Tool (black arrow) and select the Rectangle.
- Click on the Scale Tool (black arrow) from the Toolbar.
- Enter ‘100’ for the Horizontal Scale and ‘100’ for the Vertical Scale.
- Click the ‘Scale’ button, and the Rectangle will be transformed into a perfect square.
How To Turn The Square Into A Diamond In Illustrator?
Now that you have successfully made a square, it is time to turn it into a diamond.
- Select the square.
- Go to the Object menu and select Transform>Rotate. In the window that appears, enter 45 degrees in the Angle field.
- Go to the Object menu again and select Transform>Scale. In the window that appears, enter 50% in the Uniform field.
- Click on the Copy button in the Scale window.
- Select both shapes, go to the Object menu, and select Pathfinder>Divide.
- Select all the shapes, go to the Object menu, and select Path>Outline Stroke.
- Select all the shapes, go to the Object menu, and select Pathfinder>Unite.
- You should now have a diamond shape.
For more help:
How To Make A Circle In Illustrator?
To make a circle in Illustrator:
- Open Adobe Illustrator.
- Select the Ellipse Tool from the Toolbox.
- Press the left mouse button and drag to draw an ellipse on the artboard.
- Hold down the Shift key while dragging the Ellipse Tool to draw a perfect circle.
- Release the mouse button when the circle is the desired size.
- Select the Selection Tool from the Toolbox and drag the circle to the desired position.
How To Make A Cone In Illustrator?
To make a cone, another common shape, in Illustrator:
- Create a new document in Adobe Illustrator.
- Select the Ellipse Tool (L) from the Tools panel.
- Click and drag your mouse to create the circle shape.
- Select the Direct Selection Tool (A) from the Tools panel.
- Click on the top anchor point of the circle and drag it to the left to create the cone shape.
- Click on the Scale Tool from the Tools panel and adjust the cone size if needed.
- Select the Gradient Tool (G) from the Tools panel and choose a color for the cone.
- Click and drag your mouse over the cone shape to create a gradient.
- Select the Blend Tool (W) from the Tools panel and click on the cone shape to blend the colors.
- Select Object > Expand from the menu to apply the blend effect.
- Select the Direct Selection Tool (A) and adjust the shape of the cone if needed.
- Save your document.
How To Make A Heart In Illustrator?
Plenty of users struggle with making a heart, and rightfully so because this can be complex. To make a heart in Illustrator:
- Open Adobe Illustrator and create a new document.
- Select the Ellipse Tool from the Toolbar.
- Click and drag to create an ellipse.
- With the ellipse selected, go to Object > Path > Split Into Grid.
- With the ellipse still selected, go to Object > Path > Divide.
- Use the Direct Selection Tool to click and drag the points at the bottom of the ellipse to create a heart shape.
- With the heart shape selected, go to Object > Path > Join.
- Select the Pen Tool and draw a line connecting the two points at the bottom of the heart.
- Select the heart and the line and go to Object > Path > Outline Stroke.
- With the heart selected, go to Object > Path > Simplify and adjust the settings to achieve the desired look.
- Change the stroke and fill the colors of the heart to complete the look.
How To Fill Color In Shapes In Illustrator?
No matter what shape you have created, you can switch it up with color. To fill color in shapes:
- Select the shape you wish to fill with color.
- Click on the Fill Color tool in the Tools panel, or press the letter “X” on your keyboard to activate it.
- Choose the swatch or color you wish to apply to your shape in the Color panel.
- Click within the shape to apply the color.
- You can also access the Gradient, Pattern, and Transparency tools within the Color panel to customize your shapes further.
Innovation in design is so important. Interestingly, just by rotating a basic shape, you can get a unique form that adds more structure to designs than the basic shape alone. Learning to draw new shapes is helpful; we are here to get you through the journey.