Using lines is an essential part of working in Adobe Illustrator. Luckily, there is a built-in tool that can allow you to make lines of all kinds. But what do you do when you want to add a little flair to your line work? A dotted line can do wonders in making your work stand out, but is that something you can achieve with the built in tools? Let’s find out!
The dotted line in Illustrator can be pretty easy to make because it is available through the line tool built into the software. You can create a line, and use the appearance panel to adjust the stroke, the type of weight, and even how far apart the lines get from each other. However, this will require some tweaking as you start with the dashed line option.
If you are interested in learning even more about making a dotted line when using Adobe Illustrator, you have chosen the right place to learn! This is because in this article we will show you the simplest way to get a dotted line ready on Adobe Illustrator, and how you can make them a quick addition to your work. Keep reading this blog to know more!
How To Make A Dotted Line In Illustrator
Once you are familiar with the line tools on Adobe Illustrator, you may be wondering what you need to do to get a dotted line.
While you can free hand it, or do the work of creating shapes, there is a much quicker way to create these lines when you use the built-in line tool. Keep in mind, though; you will need to tweak the tool a little to get the result you are looking for.
Here are the steps you need to follow if you are looking to make a dotted line on Illustrator:
- Start by opening up Illustrator and then choosing the file you want to work on.
- Click on the line tool, and then create a line. You can create a straight line by pressing down on the Shift key as you make your line segment.
- Keep the line segment selected when you are done drawing.
- At the same time, navigate to Window and then choose the option Appearance.
- This will open up the Appearance Panel, which allows you to see the style options.
- From here, select the option ‘Stroke.’
- Check the box next to the Dashed Line. Select a weight that allows you to see the line.
- To create the dotted line, you will need to adjust the cap.
- Under the weight setting, select the Rounded Cap option.
- If you want perfect circles, set ‘Dashes’ to 0, and then move ‘Gaps’ to 15.
- You can adjust these settings to get the kind of circles you are looking for.
Make sure to adjust the settings according to the kind of dots that you choose for your line. For example, you can create bigger dots by adjusting the size. However, you need to factor in how this impacts the gaps.
So make sure you give the line enough space to incorporate the circles. After all, the last thing you want is for the circles to become so big they become a line again.
If you want to see how a line like this is created visually, you can also choose to watch this video, which explains the process of creating a dotted line in Illustrator:
Once you have your line ready, you can make all kinds of adjustments to the line to create the perfect design. You can adjust the color, size, and weight of the line. Not to mention, you can also apply this style to other kinds of lines than a straight line.
For example, this style will also apply to curved and intersecting line segments within Adobe Illustrator.
Being able to adjust how a line looks in Illustrator can be a great way to make your work stand out. While there is no default setting for a dotted line, as you can see, a few quick adjustments to the dashed line default can help you create the look you are going for!
With a little more practice and exploration, you can create even more advanced lines in Illustrator. We hope this tutorial helped you understand the line tool on Illustrator and how you can leverage it to create unique shapes and include your own flair!