Using vertical text is a way to bring diversity into your work by interestingly aligning the written content. Many creators wonder how they can achieve this look when using Photoshop to work on their design projects.
You can create vertical text using Photoshop in one of three ways. The first is through the Vertical Type Tool. Secondly, you can convert horizontal text to vertical by using the ‘Text Orientation’ button. Finally, you can also rotate the text for a different effect.
So, if you want to change text orientation in your next Photoshop project, you are looking through the right resource! Keep reading this blog for an in-depth look at the three main methods you can use to create vertical text in Photoshop!
How To Create Vertical Type In Photoshop
As we mentioned above, there are three main ways that you can create vertical-oriented text when you are using Photoshop software. This section will explore the three methods in detail, along with instructions you can follow!
Using the Vertical Type Tool
The typical Type Tool on Photoshop, by default, writes text in a horizontal orientation. Since this is the most intuitive reading style for humans, it is the default. However, vertical text can also be created using a specialized tool called the Vertical Type Tool. Here’s how:
- Launch Photoshop and start a new file.
- Now, in the toolbar, click and hold the Type Tool.
- Wait for the rest of the type options to show up.
- From here, choose the option ‘Vertical Type Tool.’
- The cursor of the Type Tool will change, and you can now write vertically!
You can easily write whatever you like and display it vertically on Photoshop! This tool is usually used to enter just a word or two rather than entire paragraphs. The reason behind this is that the text can become hard to read as there needs to be clear spacing between words as you have in the horizontal orientation.
If you want to see how this works visually, you can also take a look at this video which shows how you can use the Vertical Type Tool in Photoshop to create this kind of text effect:
Converting Horizontal Type To Vertical
If you already have text written out using the default Type Tool, there is no reason for you to start from scratch and write everything all over again. This is because Photoshop has a very useful feature where you can convert the orientation, all using the following steps:
- In Photoshop, highlight the text that you want to change to vertical text.
- Make sure that the Type Tool is selected as you do this.
- Navigate to the Options menu from the topbar on Photoshop.
- From here, look for the dropdown menu for Font Selection.
- Toggle the ‘Text Orientation’ according to the look you are going for.
Suppose the text you selected was originally horizontally oriented. In that case, you will be able to shift it to the vertical orientation, and vice versa if you would like to reverse the process.
Using The Rotate Tool
Finally, one way to work around the fact that vertical text isn’t readable is to use the rotate tool to change the angle of the text. This way, there is still horizontal spacing, making it much easier to read. Here’s how to achieve this with just a few steps on Photoshop:
- Use the default Type Tool to write your text in Photoshop.
- Select the paragraph or text that you created.
- Now, you use the Move Tool from your toolbar.
- Rotate the text. You can choose a specific angle depending on the look you are going for.
With this method, you will be easily able to move the text around without worrying about it impacting the readability of the message you are trying to convey. This is an amazing way to have stylistic text, that stands out. And the best thing is that using the rotate tool on Photoshop is incredibly easy.
Now, with a few different methods, you can elevate any text box in your new Photoshop project by switching it on its head and using Vertical type! We hope this article helped you understand this and remember – the more you practice, the more you will learn about how it all works!