Were you struggling to get text to rotate when using Photoshop? This nifty tool can allow you to change how a text layer looks, and there are many different ways to do so when you are using Adobe Photoshop. So how can you rotate text on Photoshop? Let’s find out!
You can rotate text elements in Adobe Photoshop using several methods, including first and foremost, the Rotate Tool. Next, you can learn how to use the Flip Tool to rotate to a specific angle quickly and tilt the text layer to match your desired look. With all of these tools, you can quickly change how the text looks!
If you are interested in changing up how text is displayed in your next project, this is the place to learn more! We will explain all of these fun text effects in this article, so keep reading if you want to apply them to your next project!
How To Rotate Text Using Photoshop
When using Adobe Photoshop, there is a pretty easy way to rotate text to make it stand out. Here is a step-by-step tutorial of what you need to do to get a text layer to rotate:
- Launch Photoshop on your computer.
- Start a new file on Photoshop, and use the Text Tool to create a text layer.
- Now, look for the Move Tool on the left of your Photoshop toolbar.
- Select the layer in which your text is placed on Photoshop.
- Now, hover your cursor around the text until you see an arrow icon that is curved and double-sided, this is an indication of the Rotate Tool.
- Click the arrow, and drag it in whichever direction you like to rotate.
- You can also hold down the Shift key to make rotations at 15-degree intervals.
- Once you let go of the arrow, the text will be rotated.
- Confirm changes to make sure your text layer remains rotated.
You can also use this same method to rotate other elements in Adobe Photoshop! With some practice, you can easily rotate elements and do them quickly when you have a lot of layers that you need to change up in Adobe Photoshop.
If you are curious about how this looks in action, here is a video tutorial of how to rotate text using Photoshop:
How To Flip Text Using Photoshop
Rotation will change the angle of how the text layer is oriented in Photoshop. If what you are looking for is to flip it instead, there is a separate method that you need to use. To make this effect happen, you will need to follow these steps listed below:
- Run Adobe Photoshop on your computer.
- Place a text layer down on the canvas to get started.
- Now, select the layer for the text within the Layers panel in Photoshop.
- In the top menu in the software, choose the option Edit.
- From here, select Transform, and then decide which way you want to flip the layer.
- If you want to do so horizontally, choose ‘Flip Horizontal.’
- To do so vertically, choose the option ‘Flip Vertical.’
One of the biggest ways this is applied is when you print something that needs to be reversed, for example, something people will see through a mirror. Flipping horizontally can help to make that kind of text readable.
How To Create Vertical Text Using Photoshop
If you want to change the orientation of text toward vertical alignment, there is a specialized tool to make this happen within Photoshop. You can use this to create your vertical text. To do this, you will need to follow this step-by-step guide:
- Launch Photoshop, and then add some text to the canvas.
- Select the text layer, and then choose the Text Tool from the left side toolbar.
- In the Text Orientation option, choose the option ‘Vertical.’
- When you type in, the text will now be added to the canvas in a vertical orientation.
- Adjust settings, such as the scaling and spacing between characters, to make your text more readable.
There are a lot of applications for vertical text – from menus to announcements, but this type of tool is used sparingly when there are large chunks of text you need to read. Most people opt to keep this tool available for use of headings.
Using the built-in tools in Photoshop, you can easily create many changes and effects that can make your text appear rotated, flipped, or in a different alignment.