With the help of Adobe InDesign, you can produce stunning booklets, layouts, and more. It has the underline function, among other things. You will discover how to underline text in InDesign like an expert in this tutorial.
To begin, pick the text that needs to be underlined by either clicking and dragging on it or swiftly selecting a whole piece with three clicks. Next, to add it to your text, click the Underline symbol (represented by a T with a line underneath it).
Keep reading below for more information on this topic.
How to Directly Underline Text in InDesign
InDesign makes highlighting text in a document easy by providing an underline feature. Following these directions in InDesign will allow you to underline text in your project.
For more information on how to underline text in InDesign, watch this video below:
Step 1: Launch InDesign, open the document you wish to edit, and then find the text you would like to underline. Choose the text.
Step 2: In the InDesign application, find the Character panel’s drop-down menu, and then choose “Underline Options” from the list of available options.
Step 3: Choose the underscore’s style, weight, and color. You may find this option under “Type.” Also, you can select a more ornamental underscore and alter it using the various color and gap selections.
Step 4: Click “OK” when you are satisfied with the modifications after selecting “Preview” to see how the underscore will appear.
How to Use PDF Editor to Underline Text in InDesign Files
In some cases, more alterations may be required once InDesign files have been converted to PDF. For instance, you could underline certain words in the text. This can be challenging, particularly if you don’t have the InDesign software.
Fortunately, there is a less complex application that is far more useful for editing and annotating PDF documents and is only a small portion of the price of InDesign. The PDF Editor in Adobe Acrobat is one of the greatest tools for creating, converting, and editing PDF files.
The following are some of the characteristics that make a PDF editor the greatest tool for editing a PDF document:
- It’s a fantastic program for making PDFs and converting them to various file types.
- It is also the best tool for quickly altering and annotating PDF files.
- It’s also a great option for digitally signing documents in PDF format or creating and filling out PDF forms.
- Using this program, you may also use OCR to change scanned PDF files into editable formats.
Download and set up the editor on your desktop, then follow these extremely easy steps to underline text in an InDesign file:
Step 1: Import InDesign Files
- A file can be opened with Adobe Acrobat in a number of different ways. The simplest method is just to drag the file into the application window.
- You can also select “Open File” and search your computer for the desired file. You can open the PDF file by clicking on the “Edit PDF” box in the program’s main window.
Step 2: Underline Text
- After opening the file in the editor, choose the “Comment” tab to bring up the Markup tools you’ll need to underline the text.
- Choose the text you wish to emphasize by pressing and holding the Alt key or clicking and holding the mouse button. If you right-click on the selected text, you’ll get further options.
- Simply click the “Underline” option to highlight the desired text.
Step 3: Switch the Underline Properties
- Right-click on the underlined text and select “Properties” to alter the underlined color or style.
- You can alter the color, opacity, and even appearance of the markup you’re using in a panel that will display on the right side of the screen.
- To save this selection for later usage, select “Use as Default.”
Step 4: Use Other Tools to Annotate a PDF
- You can annotate the document in a variety of additional ways as well. You can underline, stamp, and remark on text as well as highlight it.
- Choose the desired annotation tool after clicking the “Comments” tab to see all of these options. If you wish to touch up text, you should highlight it first.
- If, on the other hand, you would like to add stamps or comments, just click on the option and update the information once it displays in the document.
Underlining text is a basic skill. Thankfully, it’s a fairly easy task to underline text in InDesign, as can be seen by the very simple instructions listed above. We hope the instructions listed in this article will prove helpful when you set out to underline your own text in InDesign.