Does your next design require perspective, and are you looking for a guide to help you? A perspective ruler is a solution to your problems! Let us get into how you can use it.
Go to the Layers option > Ruler/Frame > Perspective Ruler to enable a perspective ruler and grid. In the window that opens, choose the point of perspective that you prefer and hit OK.
For more detail, please continue reading.
Why Is Perspective Ruler Used In Clip Studio?
Using a perspective ruler in Clip Studio is to set up a 1-point, 2-point, or 3-point perspective. We will discuss these and how they differ from each other below.
- 1 – point perspective – This is a linear perspective where all the parallel lines in a scene converge to a single point on the horizon line. This creates the illusion of depth and distance in a two-dimensional drawing or painting.
- 2 – point perspective – This type of perspective drawing creates the illusion of depth and space in a 2-dimensional drawing. In a 2-point perspective, the drawing is constructed using two vanishing points on the horizon line.
- 3 – point perspective – This perspective drawing uses three vanishing points to create an artwork’s illusion of depth and space. The three vanishing points are positioned along three different axes, allowing for greater depth and complexity in the scene.
Using Perspective Ruler In Clip Studio
Let us understand how you can enable and use the perspective ruler to create a perspective grid. Look at the comprehensive guide below to accomplish this.
- Open up the document that you want to work on.
- On the menu at the top of your screen, look for the Layers option and click on it.
- In the drop-down menu, select Ruler/Frame.
- In the menu that opens, choose to Create Perspective Ruler.
- A window will appear. Here you can choose if you want a 1,2, or 3-point perspective. We have outlined the difference above.
- Select your preferred option and ensure “Create New Layer” is check-marked.
- Click OK.
For a video tutorial, watch this video:
Adjusting Perspective Grid
If you wish to adjust the perspective grid to make it more convenient, follow the steps below.
- After you have applied the Perspective Ruler, go to the tools panel.
- Here, choose the Object tool.
- Click on the perspective grid, and multiple vanishing points will appear.
- You can drag these dots around as you like and adjust the grid.
Create Your Perspective Grid
If you are one for designing things independently, you may also want to design your perspective grid. This is a lengthy process, and if you are a beginner to Clip Studio, we would not recommend it. It will take a lot of trial and error to get to the point you wish to achieve, so be patient.
The instructions below will help you through the process:
- Open the document that you are working on.
- From the tools panel, choose Ruler. In the drop-down menu, choose Perspective Ruler.
- Now on the canvas, click once, and a line will appear.
- This line can be moved around and rotated to your liking.
- Now place another line, making a one-point perspective.
- You can repeat the process until you get the perspective grid you seek.
Turning Off The Perspective Ruler And Perspective Grid
You cannot export your design with the perspective grid and ruler showing. You will need to turn it off at one point for neatness and clarity of the design. Below are two methods we have explained that will help you turn off the perspective grid and the ruler.
- The first method is to turn off the layer that has the perspective grid.
- To do so, go to your Layers panel on the right and go to the layer with the perspective rule or grid. Look for the eye icon next to it and click on it to turn the layer off.
- Another method is to turn the ruler off.
- Go to the Layers panel on the right side of your window and look for the layer with the ruler icon.
- Right-click on the ruler icon, and from the drop-down menu, choose “Show Ruler.” The checkmark next to it will be removed, and a red cross will appear on the layer panel.
Using a perspective ruler to make a perspective grid can be very helpful in making 3D drawings, but it can also help with 2D designs.
This article walked you through the process of achieving it and taught you how to make your own and customize it. This may be challenging, but with multiple attempts, you will be good to go!