Uploading an image for a Twitch emote should be easy, right? Well it seems sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t. One of the most common issues people run into is when they go to upload their image only to be met with an error that reads “Twitch emote isn’t square shaped.” So, what should you do if you’re having this issue?
If your Twitch emote won’t display your image because it isn’t square shaped, you simply need to use a free online image cropping service to square the image at 112 x 112 pixels.
If you would like to learn more about how you can make your image square and upload it as a Twitch emote, we’ve got you covered. In our guide below we will walk you through everything from how you make a Twitch emote square to software you can use to make a new one. So pop open your Twitch account and let’s bring your emote skills to the next level!
What Size Does Your Twitch Emote Have to Be?
The image for a Twitch emote needs to be a certain size and shape in order for it to work properly on the site. So what size and shape does your Twitch emote have to be?
The image for a Twitch emote must be squared and a 112×112 pixel image. If it fails to meet these requirements you will have to use software to square the image.
In the next section we’ll jump into exactly how to do just that. By the time you’re done, you will have a perfectly squared image that is ready to go.
How Do You Make a Square Emote?
So if you do have an image that won’t work for your Twitch Emote because it isn’t squared then your number one priority should be figuring out how to square it. Fortunately, we’ve got you covered on that front. You’ll just need to have your image file and a free image cropping software. In this case we’ll be using Placeit’s free image cropper.
Below we’ve created a step-by-step guide to help you take your image and square it so it will work as a Twitch Emote:
- Keep Twitch’s upload page open: To have received the message “emote isn’t squared” you will have to have already had Twitch’s upload page open for images. Keep it open as you will soon be able to use it without getting the error message.
- Open Placeit and upload your photo: Simply go to Placeit’s Free Online Image Cropper and click “Upload Your Image Here”.
- Set the custom size to 112 x 112: Below your image is a box for Custom Size. Set the Custom Size to 112 x 112.
- Zoom your image to fit: Use the zoom slider to zoom your image in and fit it into the squared area.
- Download your image and try it on Twitch again: Click the blue Download button and scroll to the top of your Placeit page to see your download in the top right corner. When the download is ready, click “Click here to download” to download the image to your computer. Try uploading to Twitch again.
If you followed all of the steps correctly, your image should now be squared and ready to go for Twitch’s emote upload page. Feel free to bookmark this page if you ever forget this process in the future.
What Other Software Can Help With Editing Twitch Emotes?
Now that you’re familiar with using Placeit, you may benefit from the Twitch templates they have to offer as well.
Placeit has both free and paid Twitch templates, and they are made to Emotes, overlays, profile photos, and more.
There are other softwares out there to help edit Twitch emotes, but they can come with hidden fees or they put their logo over your re-sized image. Placeit is easy to use, and totally free.
So Really, What Do You Do When a Twitch Emote Isn’t Square Shaped?
It’s not at all uncommon to get hit with the error that your image isn’t squared when you’re trying to upload it as an emote. Fortunately the solution is simple.
You can import the image into a free online image cropping software like Placeit and simply download it as a square shape sized to 112 x 112 pixels. Once you’ve downloaded the newly cropped image it will be ready to upload! Best of luck!